Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Being sick, it isn't fun

Oi! So, this week has been a little ridiculous. We all took turns being sick here and it was rough. It was a flu/cold that I really can't describe. Elder Gramosa started with it in the beginning of the week and then I picked it up. Elder Hansen picked it up the day after and now Elder Lopes is down and out too. We have been doing a lot of splits this week so we can always have at least two of us out there working, and I think we did alright for the week but sadly we just weren't much of a power house this week. On Wednesday I really woke up feeling awful so after some time I needed to get some more rest. We went to our lunch appointment which was pretty pretty quick. When we got back I was really feeling sick and we had a bit more time for lunch so I thought I would grab a few winks before we went back out to work. I woke up five hours later. Elder Hansen was even worse off than I was and got an ear infection too so the others just left us to sleep and went out and got some work. Truth is I felt way bummed about not getting out to work at all that day, we had a few hours when I woke up but Elder Hansen was told not to go out in the wind, so we made chicken soup to drown away our sorrows and we swapped some stories.
     I had a lot of time to read this week too. I finished The Book of Mormon, and I made some good progress in Jesus The Christ. I am reading it alongside The Four Gospels to try and understand more about the mortal ministry of The Savior. Once again, I am filled with wonder about the sheer majesty of The Lord Jesus Christ, over and over again. Especially in the compassion he showed to others. I am still learning how to show that kind of compassion to others. We had a really special experience this last week regarding compassion and impromptu service that really was special to my heart. Sometimes the circumstances that people live in here can be heartbreaking and we had an opportunity to involve some sisters here in the ward and come to the rescue of a family in need. It made me very grateful for my own family and the circumstances that we are blessed with.
I really wasn't planning on sharing what happened but I feel kind of impressed to, so I will.
On Thursday, we got a call from the other Elders to come to the house of somebody that had recently taught, and to hurry. Turns out the mother of this family had been in the hospital with the youngest child since Sunday and the four smaller kids hadn't eaten in days, or been bathed and had their clothes changed. I won't mention why the father hadn't been providing but I am so grateful to live in a church family where there is an instant system of support. With a few phone calls there was some sisters from the ward there to help with bathing and changing and getting some food ready while we set about cleaning the place up. I had been to the house many times but never been so struck by the circumstances that the family was living before. But more than just the sheer poverty, while the food was being prepared Elder Gramosa and I especially just started playing with the kids, they were really leery of us at first, but by the end they were hanging on us and having some good fun and I was so filled with gratitude for growing up in a family that never lacked in fun and love and some hugs everyday. I don't know how often these kids get much of that, and I just wanted to show them all the love I had in my heart and more. The Lord has an incredible way of showing us just how blessed we really are, and demonstrating how we need to share that with others.
We had stake conference here yesterday too, it was really good. In my impeccable foresight I brought candy to share with some of our younger more squirly investigators. It was also Fathers day here yesterday so it was a little rough as far as having investigators at church. I missed having some waffles and omelets after church, but that night for family night we made pancakes for a family so that is kind of like it. Ha pancakes are for our family night here. We offer to make some American food and people love it. It was some good fun. I have been trying to work hard out here, but I think work is supposed to be enjoyable too. It is. Life is meant to be enjoyed, not just endured. Yesterday I was reminded of a phrase ever present in my life growing up thus far and I wrote it down and posted it on my wall in front of my desk. it reads: "You don't have to, you get to."
I am so glad that I GET to serve here as a missionary and I get to wake up at six thirty every morning and exercise and study. I am so grateful that I Get to struggle in learning a new language and learn and grow.
I hope all is well with everyone back home. I also love getting Grant's updates from the CTM. Enjoy the last of summer there. Get and do something fun this week. Take care, I love and pray for you all.
Seu Filho, Irmão, e Amigo.
Elder David F. Morgan

No comments: