Saturday, August 6, 2011

1.21 gigiwatts?!

Oi everybody!
So truth be told, this was actually a pretty rough week. As a general statement, that is really all that will be said about that, it´s not cool to dwell on it.
However, there was a ray of light for the week ha. We had divisions, so I spent a day with one of our Zone Leaders. Elder Rogers, he is a way cool guy and a great Elder, I believe he is from Jordan Utah. Anyways, I went to his area of Pelotas and we had a service project to start the day off ( cleaning mold off of a member ceiling, pretty common here) But they fed us afterwards which is always a plus, plus it was kind of fun. Anyways, we got some good work done and taught some good lessons, and a recent convert was talking to us about going on a mission, I was so excited for him. I have to be honest though, the best part was just actually being able to talk with someone, about whatever. Usually around American missionaries I still just speak Portuguese, but we talked a lot in English together, and it was really good just to talk. I can get kind of lonely sometimes I guess in an apartment with 3 Brasilians and our conversations are pretty limited. Ha so with Elder Rogers when we were waiting on our dinner (pineapple cake) that night, we just started talking, about sports, music, what we liked to do, and he mentioned something about Back to the Future being the number one movie of all time. Ha, I let him know that my family is definitely a fan of Back to the Future as well. wow not sure why this font just changed to bold, whatevs. It was kind of a good ZEN day, I think i needed it.
The language is coming quite well though, ha I am such a nerd, I carry around a little notepad in my front pocket and when I notice a word being used a lot that I don't understand, I ´jot´ it down and ask Elder Gramos about it, or look it up when I get home. Also, been reading the Liahona and translating conference talks, way sweet. Somebody guessed that I had been here six to eight months last week, so that was a good confidence boost, and last night we were swapping jokes and I actually translated into portuguese. Still, at times it is super frustrating, ha especially when I know I am the topic of a conversation and I have no idea what is being said about me. But I keep plugging along and praying a lot.  So because I feel that this email is kind of all over the place this week, I am going to finish with a Spiritual analogy I had in my mind this morning. It was about faith, I was studying about how to study and why we study the Gospel. Really to study is an act of faith, that is going to build your faith. Sometimes we compare faith to a seed, but I think it is more like a muscle. We have to use it everyday, or else it is going to go weak. If we put it in a sling it will especially go weak ( if we are not supporting our own faith) And like a muscle grows by breaking it down and we build up stronger. When our faith grows most rapid is when we are being tried, and tested and pushed to the max, and sometimes it stinks, but when we endure it well and really push through. We will be stronger when it is all over and we are built back up. So I guess this is a mixture of a thought about study, faith, and our trials. Enjoy, I hope all is well.
Love, seu Filho, irmão, amigo. Elder David F Morgan

No comments: