Saturday, March 16, 2013

sickness :( Travels

Óla! 

I hope everyone is doing good. My English is pretty good today because Elder Barros has been expressing his desire to learn English and so I am "trying" to speak with him in English, the other Brazilian in our house, Elder Gomes already speaks English so we will probably make a rule at home to just speak English, gonna be super weird. 

Sunday we had a quite pleasing Sacrament Meeting and the day was good. We didn´t have too much success in finding new people that we are DESPERETLY needing (plesae pray very very very much for this aspect of our work)  but we taught Jair e Luciane again which was a referral from one of members of the ward. They are really enjoying learning about the church and understand very well. I don´t remember if I already told this story so.. Jair was going to do a surgery and João, the brother in our ward, suggested that he could send the missionaries to his home to give him a blessing. He accepted and so we went and gave him a preisthood blessing of health before his surery, this led to the question of what is the preisthood and we taught him the first lesson, his wife Luciane showed up at the end, and now we are teaching the two. He is going to start work again this week and so maybe we will only be able to teach them on the weekends which will be rough, but I am sure it will work out alright. 

We got robbed at the bus stop on Sunday night, that was fun. At least it was for a good reason, we needed to divide the money that we recieved, but we couldn´t split it evenly, and we both wanted that the other stayed with the bigger half, ha so when I went to go hand him the money he didn´t accept it, and I didn´t accept it in return. That was our fatal mistake :P Waving money around in down town Porto Alegre, not such a good idea. Luckily we were left with enough to get back home still. Just to show hom pure my companion is. I was playing the scene over and over again just feeling like an idiot right? My companion suggested that we pray for him... ;p 
I have had a cough for the last week or so and Sunday night when we got home I broke into a fever. Sister Castro thought I might have an infection so I went the hosptial for myself for the first time in almost two years on monday. Woohoo! It was all full and we spent the whole day there, it would have been fine if my fever wasn´t making me feel really super cold and the air condition wasn´t on. No infection, just a virus. My stomache still hasn´t recovered though. Not the funnest missionary experience. Elder Barros was great during all of this. 
Am I four or five hours ahead of you guys right now? I can´t remember. 

I am feeling starved of a good scripture study, I could just sit down and study for hours I feel like, we are been just on the go these last few days or I was sick and we haven´t managed to study too much,  but we have had a few good Gopsel conversations. 

We went to Pelotas on Thursday morning, President went to do interviews with the missionaries and we went with him to be able to go on exchanges with the zone leaders there. I passed the day with Elder Ewer!! Man, I love that missionary, he is a good friend and I like him lots. We taught a few lessons, and it was nice to just be together agan. I saw a few people from the ward too, and the ward is full of life. What a good feeling. I participated in the Executive Committee meeting of the ward and they were talking about the importance of the youth and they were particularly worried about a few and I felt really touched and grateful for dedicated leaders who work hard and sacrifice themselves for the growth of the youth. 

We left Pelotas at about 8 last night and we came staggering into our house I think at about midnight (before my mission that wouldn´t seem late at ALL) poor President Castro had to drive the whole way, he must been crazy sleepy. He told us that we could sleep in a little longer this morning to make up for the lost sleep. But my body is like a machine now and at 6;30 I was awake. I made the conscious decision to stay in bed to try and get rest because I knew I would need it, but I couldn´t fall back asleep, I couldn´t believe how lazy I felt being in bed past 7.Reminded me of Proverbs 6:9: "How long wilt thou sleep , O sluggard?" (in portuguese  the word sluggard is subsituted for lazy :p) Bascially the experience of sleeping in a bit wasn´t as grand as one might imagine. 

Everyone is trying to make me trunkie :p they shall not succeed. In my mind I know I am going home soon, but my heart hasn´t quite gotten the message yet. But I was thinking about experiences that I would be able to share when I go home if somebody asks, and I do have neat, and funny stories, but I honestly was reminded (and I talked with Elder Barros about this) about the story that Elder Ballard told in a General Conference of the young merchant who sold everything and went to California in search of gold and his fortune expecting to find gold nuggest the size of his fist. After a certain time of searching and searching, he had come up with nothing convinced there was no gold. Ready to quite, he met an old prospector who told him that there was gold there and you just needed to know where to look and showed him a rock filled with many tiny flecks of gold. The young man then replied that those flecks were hardly worth his time and that he wanted nuggests like the old prospector had. He then opened up his pouch for the merchant to show that it had been filled, with the careful accumulation of thousands of tiny gold flecks that had brought him quite a fortune. What I mean to say is, I think I was expecting nuggets when I came on a mission, giant and impressive spritual experiences. But honestly I don´t remember too many, nothing that you ever would read in a church magazine, or like Grandpa tells, even some of dads mission stories that I remember. Just lots of tiny gold flecks of experience accumulated of two years that for me were really valuable and helped me to be converted and to just come to know The Savior just a little bit better and to understand the influence of His spirit. I´m grateful for my little flecks of gold, the nuggets can come when they come. 

Gotta go. All of my love

Elder David F Morgan

No comments: