Thursday, June 2, 2011

Eventful Week

Hey there everyone! Wow, another week has already gone by, I don't believe it. It was pretty eventful to say the least. I'm not really sure where to start so I will just start writing and hope that it makes sense. Apparently my emails have to be edited anyways because I write them in such a hurry they probably only make sense in my head while I'm writing. I really hope I get used to this Brazilian keyboard sometime soon though so I can actually type somewhat fast, It´s really not too different but it throws me for a loop. So I realized that I throw down a lot of terms and phrases that only make sense in missionary life and that it would be good to probably explain some of these things a bit. So I will do better explaining what is going on here, and also try to get into this weeks events. As a missionary I have another missionary with me who is my ´companion´and we are together all the time (and I really mean all the time, minus interviews or bathroom etc.) and we watch out for each other help each other teach and support each other. In this case my companion is Elder Goldsberry and he will be my companion for my time here at the CTM, luckily for me he is super awesome and we get along great ha I told Shaun its like carrying a little slice of him around with me. Ha a sister missionary here was talking to us and she said we were the ´perfect companionship´just cause we get along great and we are pretty good buddies. We are divided up into districts depending on when we arrived here, in my district there are four companionships, so eight missionaries. and we all have the same schedule together everyday (this is all just while in the CTM) right now we spend our days studying, either church related things, how to teach, and Portuguese. A few districts make up a zone. and then there is the Mission President. In this case the President of the CTM who is an amazing man and his wife is so great. They just radiate love, its amazing. So now I'm just going to write about the week and if anything comes up I will do my best to explain that. So here in Brazil Peanut butter is a precious commodity, ha but one of the Elders (Elder Williams) in my District had a buddy coming here this last week and so Elder Williams´mom packed some peanut butter with him this last week and we have been feasting on it! This morning when everybody else was having a ham and cheese sandwich, I was feasting on a peanut butter and banana sandwich. It was glorious. Good thing he is such a generous guy. We also have been having oreos dipped in said peanut butter. Which we introduced to our instructors and native roommates. They were blown away. Oh as far as rooms go. So here at the CTM its a lot like living in a college dorm, Ive never done that but it seems like that is a pretty accurate comparison. There are six of us in a room. Usually a mix of Brazilians and Americans. But since I have been here I have lucked out and only ever had one Brazilian companionship in there with us so we have more space but still get to practice Portuguese and make some good friends. Oh last week they cleaned the CTM which is seven stories high, (and I live on the top floor and we can only use the stairs, but I think I mentioned that before) They had people repelling off the top with power washers, I don't know why I didn't think to get a picture of it until the were almost finished of it. It was neat though. We went to the Federal Police this last week to register, and by that I mean wait for a few ours to spend ten minutes getting finger-printed. It was neat though because we got to do some real missionary work. We talked to a lot of people about families and the Gospel, we brought four Copies of the Book of Mormon with us and talked to people about them and handed all of them out. We also went street contacting later that day and just tried to talk to people on the street and either just leave them a message about Jesus Christ, or give them a Book of Mormon (Livro de Mórmon) and encourage them to call the missionaries. It was neat and we had a few really neat experiences. I am running out of time so I wont have time to write them down but they have been stored away in my journal (thank you McCandless family for that) Just another random story. We were playing basketball (we exercise everyday and have gym time) and our game of 2 on 2 kind of descended and we were just goofing off, anyways. Elder Williams made a no looking, behind the back, half court, hook shot. What was neat though was it went over the backboard, hit the bars came back up and went in nothing but net. Needless to say it was a sight to behold. Okay I'm getting off, I will have an hour to write when I am in Porto Alegre (three weeks from yesterday by the way) and so these wont be so rushed then. I love you all, take care, you are in my thoughts and prayers. Let me know if anybody has any questions. Boa Semana Elder Morgan

No comments: