Thursday, June 16, 2011

Another Week Gone

Oi! I say it every time but I simply can´t believe that another week has come and gone. This week has really had all sorts of ups and downs in it. Last Thursday we had an all English fast in our district. Only Portuguese all day. THAT was tough, but it was honestly one of THE most gratifying days since being here. Reminds of what Grandpa Morgan told me before I left. The missionaries who get out and work love their missions and the guys who don´t are going to simply be miserable for two years. I have been trying to study and work hard and last Thursday I feel like we really stepped it up. It was hard but I just felt overjoyed. We did service that night for the staff and as a district we just sang while we worked. Hymns, primary songs. Things that helped us to focus on The Savior and other people. Top that day off with gym time and some peanut butter. I went to bed so overjoyed. It felt really good to tell The Lord that night in my prayers that I know that I really worked hard. I went to bed smiling. The next day was kind of another story (this is where the ups and downs come in) We went out proselyting the next day on a street that over a million people walk it everyday. I was nervous, but we sang on the bus ride over and I really felt the Spirit and was trying to take courage. To make a long story short, we got shut down. So many people were just not interested in talking to us. We must have tried to talk to seventy five people in a few hours and maybe five actually spoke back, only one really seemed interested. It was hard because I wanted so hard to be more courageous but I felt so scared to talk to people, and like maybe I could have worked a little harder. It is hard when you have something that you know will be a blessing to others and their lives and I am trying to share it, and to be rejected. There was a few people who talked to us, but we chose not to leave a copy of The Book of Mormon with them because we really didn't feel like they were interested, so we left a message about The Savior Jesus Christ and went on our way. A neat experience that I had was this though: I saw a young man, probably about my age sitting outside the subway entrance. I nudged Elder Goldsberry and went over to talk to him. We started talking, just getting to know each other and we started talking about his religious beliefs and background. He had a church that he went to and he believed in God and Christ. So we started talking to him about The Book of Mormon and how the Book of Mormon also teaches about Christ. He was interested but eventually said that he was pleased with his own church and thanked us. But I had a thought come into my mind. I had actually thought of this when I woke up, and it seemed to be tucked away just for now. I asked him if he could say that the church he attended was the true church of God and Jesus Christ on the earth today. He admitted that no he couldn't he just liked it. With all of the boldness I could muster I simply told him that I could in fact say that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is the kingdom of God on the Earth today, and I know that to be true. And that he could know that for himself as well. And the most wonderful thing about that was that he did not have to take my word for it. But that he could read and ponder about the Book of Mormon, and asked God in prayer if it is true. And if he doesn't receive an answer, then nothing in his life has to change. But I know that he will, and that he can know that this is not my church, but The Lord's church. That was the only glimmer of success that day, who knows if he will ever look at The Book of Mormon again, but I know that my own testimony grew and that it wasn't really me speaking, or not anything I could have come up with on my own. I'm sure my Portuguese wasn't perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but I know The Spirit was there and the message was delivered. It seems that this week my thoughts have really been directed towards The Savior, I started reading the Old Testament again, however many times I have read the Lord's Sermon on the Mount before, it has not been enough. The simplicity and the power with with Christ teaches is incredible. I can't imagine what it would have been like to sit at His feet and hear his words. Well I have to go now. The next letter that I send will be sent from Porto Alegre! I leave next week, I am so excited. I am sure it will very different and very rough, but an incredible experience. I will also have more time to email once I am out there. A side note that I CANNOT forget. Mom did you send that card because it is still not her. I am kind of worried. I love you all. Please take care. Write to me and let me know how you are all doing. I wish I could reply to everyone right now. There will be more time after this week. I love you. Seu Filho, Irmão e Amigo. Elder David Morgan

No comments: