Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Sweat, Stress, and Mini Miracles

Oi! this week was full of ups and downs, I feel that is kind of a trend in missionary work, and probably in life too. We did a lot more contacting this week than usual and we are probably going to step it up even more this week, nothing happens in missionary work until you find somebody to teach so that is really where it has to start. We started teaching a new family this week and I am really hopeful for them. I mentioned to dad in my last email that Sunday may be a day of rest for the rest of the world, but it is anything but that in the life of a missionary. This Sunday was no different, but there were quite a few neat experiences. The first of which just reminded me how awesome my companion is.
Saturday night we had a dinner appointment (Which doesn't happen much) and so we forgot to buy food for Sunday. I woke up Sunday and remember that we had nothing to eat, to my delight E Gramosa was already making homemade bread when I came downstairs (which consists of a kitcehn/dining room. when it was finished I saw that he had cut it in half, I figured half for us, half for the other companionship. It would be meager but we wouldn't have nothing until lunchtime. Ha, the bread wasn't even for us at all. Our investigators from Urugai we found out had been been sleeping on the street for the past five days and he wanted to make sure that they had something to eat when we went and got them for church, and also, we bring some recent converts every week with us, a seven year old, a twelve year old and a fifteen year old, they come from a pretty poor circumstances, so he wanted to have something for them after church. I felt pretty humbled, here I was thinking about getting some breakfast and he was making bread because others didn't have anything. What a guy.
anyways. to top it off, we had four of our investigators at church!
I really just wish I felt more involved in their progress, and was more aware of what they were feeling and how they are progressing. I know it is going to come, but the language barrier is a killer. sometimes i feel like i am doing really good and other times i just wanna cry because i have no idea what is happening. Ha we were at the house of a recent convert and one said. Elder Morgan why aren't you talking very much today ( ha not like I am a big chatter box right now anyways) but it is really just because if more than one person is talking, it goes right over my head, and then it is just hard to focus and try to get what i can from the conversation.
So i spoke too soon about the weather, it must have just been a weird week, because it has been high sixties or maybe even seventy with a cool breeze for pretty much the past two weeks, and we are in winter. love it. The breeze can be chilly, but nothing a sweater doesn't solve really quick. really only the morning waking up, and the evening i use a coat, but it has been pretty nice.
We are teaching a lady who her kids were baptized and she wants to be, but she and the father only live together (very common here) and in order to be baptized she has to be married to him, not just living together, but he isn't really interested in that at all, but we aren't just going to drop her or anything, so we still teach her and talk to her and she comes t church. But we are trying to get him involved too, so that at least he will marry her so she can be baptized, I would love to have him join the church too. We were watching a church film and the Spirit was really strong and we actually had him watching with us. suddenly the lights went out, not uncommon and not the first time that night, or that day. I really wanted him to continue to have the chance to feel the spirit, especially because in the film a man was just kneeling down to pray about the Book of Mormon, usually the lights are out for about twenty minutes or so, I just said a little prayer that I knew that Heavenly Father could give us power again, and to please help us we could keep going. The lights came right back on and we started the film again without much of a hiccup. We didn't have power for maybe thirty seconds, within a minute we were back in the film. Mini miracle. pretty much what I think most of our lives are made up of.
I don't know if he even felt anything, He actually asked a few questions, most of which were irrelevant and trying to get us defensive, but maybe it wasn't for him, maybe it was for me, or Elder Gramosa, or Maria, who knows, but miracles are everywhere when we are willing to notice them and recognize the hand of The Lord in everything.
Goodness, I cant believe that Grant is already leaving, today is his last day in Medford, well full day, ha and in US for a good two years. Please forward me his emails every week. I have been thinking about him that is for sure. I don't really feel homesick, but there are things here and there that always trigger a quick memory or feeling. I made french toast this week and it reminded me of Shaun, ha except with Shaun i was waking up at nine and he made it for me. Anyways, it is hard to believe that things that are going on back home. Somebody, or everybody, give grant and extra big hug for me. Grant, if you have time to get it, or somebody get it for you, but Head and Shoulders shampoo, something about Brasil is different and everyone wants that stuff when they get here, and bring your own shaving cream because it is dang expensive here. Ha and be prepared to have your digestive track redefined. Love you buddy, you are going to love the CTM and Brasil, I am so happy for you and I cant wait to hear from you. Much love.
Much love to everyone, seu filho, irmão, e amigo. Elder David Morgan

No comments: