Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Segunda Semana

Oi!
Wow, another week already finished in Pelotas, time sure is weird, I wake up and after my body really wakes up and gets rolling, it seems I am already back at our apartment getting ready for the next day. One thing that is taking some adjustment for me is that the Almoço, or lunch is the most important meal of the day here. So we wake up, exercise, eat, and get ready. Then between personal, companionship, and language study it takes me right to lunch time. Then we have an hour for lunch. The thing is, here in Brazil, lunch and the hour after might as well be sacred. Everybody goes home and takes a nap and nothing opens again until 2. If I wasn´t a missionary I would probably be all over that, but as a missionary it is killer, because you just DO NOT bother people in their house after lunch, and so if there a few people on the street we can try to talk to, but other than that, the day doesn't really get rolling until about 2. But people are up later, and dinner isn´t such a big deal. We are allowed to take an hour for dinner too, but usually we just work until it is time to go home. We grab some food on the way home for `dinner´and our breakfast the next day. Plan for the next day and then go to bed. Lights are supposed to be out at 10;30, I am really good about that one ha. If I have it my way I am laying down before 10.
Also, speaking of breakfast. I have graduated. From Ham and cheese to tuna, or just butter. Ha we also buy this really good bread called Kuca, I am too lazy to describe it, but I like it. Ha, a few days ago there was ham and cheese that E. Gramosa bought. I just couldn't do it. I put some butter on some straight cold bread and that was breakfast, ha.
We really didn't get to teach that much this week, it was kind of rough. A lot of people were not at home, didn't keep commitments, and we didn't have a single investigator at church Sunday. We also tried to get some members to help us out with getting our investigators to church and everybody fell through there as well. But yesterday was Fast Sunday and I could really feel the Spirit at church, I felt renewed to go out and work harder this week. I really just feel at a loss as to how to help our investigators progress. But I am sure this will not be the only kind of bummer week. We did contact a mother and daughter who are less active in church this week though and met with them twice, I have a lot of hope for them, they seem to be really great.
Ha, also, I mentioned this to Krista last week in my email to her, but we are teaching a couple from Uruguai ( I don't remember how to spell that in English to be honest, Urugway?) Ha, so they are talking to us in Spanish and we are responding in Portuguese, and I understand a surprising amount. Gosh it still is just killing me that I cant understand when more than one person is talking. I had a whole conversation with a lady at church the other day, she almost fell over when she found out that I had only been here a week and a half. Then her husband came up and I had to follow more than one person speak and I was totally lost.
Anyways, about our Urugaian couple. We just teach them on the street because right now they live in a motel, they are street jugglers, ha he gave us a private demonstration. At night, he juggles flaming torches, under the legs, putting them on his head, whatever it is, he can do it. Blew my mind.
I am glad to hear about how everyone is doing. Keith is in Prague?! Sweet! Also, if I am not mistaken Tom left (or leaves) today for Mexico right? Crazy.
So just cause I thought of it and it is a fun little fact, here in Brazil, the plumbing isn't efficient enough to handle toilet paper, so you take care of business and just throw that in the waste basket. Fun huh? haha. I am glad this is my first area, living here is kind of an adventure. You would not believe how many animals just roam the streets. I see probably around a dozen people riding around town in horse drawn wagons on a daily basis, and there are a few sheep to that just chill around here. I think they belong to somebody.
I had heard that Pelotas is the second most humid city in the world? Can somebody check that for me?
So regarding the name. Nobody told me what they think F Morgan or Fredrick. Don't know why there cant just be two Morgans, but they asked me to choose, nobody is really making a big deal out of it though. But in case push comes to shove, let me know. I am kind of leaning toward F. Morgan. I think I want to have my families name represented. Not that it really matters anyways, everybody here either calls me OAmericano, or O Gringo, because, I am the only one around. I teach and English phrase here, an English phrase there and people just love me ha.
Well, everybody. I love you. I really mean that. Please take care. Much love
Seu Filho, Irmão, e Amigo.
Elder David F Morgan

Selection from Elder Morgan's letter to his mom:

I have been thinking about the same thing ironically this week. Even as a missionary it is much easier said than done to keep and eye single to the glory of God. Especially in a strange new and exciting place. It is definitely helpful to have much less wordly influences here though. I love when I catch myself thinking about our investigators, The Savior, and that when my mind wanders. It still wanders to The Gospel. I had that same thoughts though too about how often we think about ourselves, thank you for sharing that quote with me about just prepare yourself and then don't think about it again during the day.
I think this was a blend of reading about how the Nephites new the true purpose of the law of Moses, and reading about The Savior's miracles and a lot about the Atonement this week. I was thinking about how we just give The Lord what we can and He takes care of the rest. He didn't just make wine, He asked for water and He made it wine. He blessed loaves and fishes to endure, they didn't come out of nowhere. Whatever it is we have to offer The Lord, he asks of us, and if we give it and trust Him, He makes it more. He doesn´t fill and empty cup though. But that is kind of a thought I was having this week, felt like I should share that with you for some reason.

No comments: